28 December 2009

Chopsticks

I do not remember not being able to use chopsticks. I know that’s not true of everyone, and for some people learning is really difficult. But it sort of came naturally to me.

Chinese people have this idea that foreigners do not have the ability to use chopsticks, and also are not capable of learning. My friends are so surprised by my abilities and that I prefer chopsticks over a fork or spoon any day of the week. It’s annoying to try to find a way to explain that it’s never been a problem and that they should not be surprised.

At the Christmas party last week, the international office set up this game where we used chopsticks to move mandarin oranges and grapes from one cup into another. What a cinch. That game did not go over well because they completely under-estimated our fine motor skills.

Speak of fine motor skills, I have always been particular about handwriting; I enjoy cursive, calligraphy, and just plain writing nicely. I wonder if this is related to chopstick use… You see, writing Chinese characters can be difficult and painstaking. Chinese people start writing characters and using chopsticks from their childhood. Their fine motor skills are awesome. Those with bad handwriting, have you been able to use chopsticks without practicing? If you have good handwriting, do you still have trouble? Please comment.

2 comments:

Christina said...

Caitlin,

Interesting observation. I have neat handwriting and picked up eating with chopsticks quickly. Aaron has good handwriting (I don't know too many men who do) and is very skilled with chopsticks. We eat with them everytime I cook Chinese food. :)

Yay for you for surprising the locals!

Anonymous said...

Hm, I have very neat handwriting but am not very skilled with chopsticks. I think I could pick it up if I were forced to, but there's never been such an occasion.

Lots of love!