25 March 2009

The Berlitz Method

Berlitz is a German guy who came up with a method for teaching languages. I picked up a copy of The Berlitz Self-Teacher: German at a used book store over Christmas break. Just a random buy. I figure if this German guy came up with a method for teaching languages, learning his native language from him would be right-on.

I’m still actively studying Chinese, but my goal with Berlitz was for a basic knowledge of German. I plan on moving on to French and Italian, brushing up on that high-school Spanish, and then working my way through whatever languages catch my eye as I go about living my life.

So, over Christmas break, I eagerly worked my way through about half of Berlitz. Just for fun, you know. I’d like to add that the copy I purchased was published in 1950. Handkerchiefs and pocket watches play large roles in early chapters.



...Little did I know at the time of the purchase that I would be making a trip to Germany five months later...

1 comment:

Ellen said...

I just got a Berlitz Spanish book! It's new and supposed to teach me in 30 days. I only have two weeks til I go to Ecuador to visit my sister, we'll see how it goes!