11 August 2011

Ramadan question:

Caitlin, is your observance of one day of Ramadan insulting to Muslims?

No. Everyone I have met welcomes participation and interest in their religion. More importantly, we need to stop viewing Islam as "other." Do we get insulted by those who go to church only on Christmas and Easter? Do we call out as hypocrites those who pray to God only in the hardest times of their lives? What about people who wear crosses or get them tattooed to their bodies because they like how the cross looks or because they see symbolism in the object? See what I mean... we shouldn't judge Muslims and Islam the way we have been taught in our culture.

Muslims, like those of other religions, believe that it is your heart and attitude that matter. I'm not doing this day for "fun" or because it's cool. Like I said in my last post, I want to learn and experience it, and I want to show outward respect for my Muslim friends. To reiterate, have you ever gone to church just because someone you respect invited you? Have you prayed for a loved one because they believed, even if you didn't? To me, the concepts are the same.

No comments: