29 January 2011

Brain Activity

Previously, I wrote about realizing that almost everything in my life now is tied to what my life was like in China.

Both times I returned from China, what hit me the most stepping off the plane was how little my brain had to work. All the signs were in English. All the conversation was in English. I could understand everything going on around me with only the smallest amount of brain activity.

It was mind-numbing, really. So what did I do to cope? My mindset became that if I’m not learning something, I’m wasting my time.

I notice this in getting caught up with small projects I have at work. I recently edited a program that was done in Russian with an English translator on the set. I had to piece it all together, with a cut every 10 seconds or so. I got this project because no one else in the world wanted to touch it. The host of the program even considered it a lost cause. But I eagerly threw myself into editing it - even studying some Russian at home, and I learned a lot of Russian in the process (mostly things like “for example,” “in the whole world,” and “first of all,” but you have to start somewhere!).

As for outside of work, I don’t even know where to begin. I read continuously. My current projects are learning about economics and the histories of both world wars. I’m not trying to be an expert; I just don’t want to be an idiot.

I mentioned in one of my media posts that I don’t listen to music. That’s a lie! When I’m not listening to NPR, I’m listening to Chinese music. Musically, most of it is horrible stuff. But it’s good for my Chinese. I feel like I’m living in an ABC (American-Born Chinese) household: English in public, Chinese at home. I force myself to think and sometimes write in Chinese. It’s becoming more of a challenge since I haven’t been immersed in so long.

I just miss the learning environment I had in China. As I explained before, my mind was inundated with new information to process all the time. And the Chinese language itself – who could ever learn all the characters and completely master it? Even native Chinese with college degrees don’t know every character. And then there are the traditional characters, ancient characters, and dialects. The dream world of someone who loves to learn, right?

5 comments:

Christina said...

Caitlin, this is something about you that both inspires me and intimidates me. :)

Some introspective questions that came to me while reading this post:

* What is the ultimate goal/end of learning as much as you possibly can? What is the drive behind accumulating so much knowledge on a variety of subjects?

* You mentioned that you don't so much want to be an expert as you do not want "be an idiot." If you did not know details about the history of the world wars, do you think that you would think of yourself as an "idiot?" Do you think that others would think of yourself as an "idiot?"

Unknown said...

Whose blog is this, Chris? Just kidding...

*I'm saying I don't know what the goal is. The subconscious drive has been to mirror the environment I had in China, and this is what happened. But, I think learning is awesome. It is both the process and the goal.

*As for the specific learning I'm doing, I think it is important knowledge for informed dialogue with those of other nationalities. They generally know a lot about not only their own histories, but also America's. So if I'm talking to someone from Turkey and they school me on American history, yes, I'm an idiot :) I cannot judge others in this area, though...

Christina said...

Haha, I'm not trying to take over your blog. It's just that you are my friend and I want to understand what's going on inside your head and heart. Many times I feel like I have to read between the lines on some issues and just need some clarification. I just want to know and understand you because I care! :)

kirsten said...

I think it's interesting to see how different points of view on immersion experiences. Whereas you were able to focus more on Chinese language, the general idea of Spanish is not so different from English. There is less to learn linguistically, so in a way I feel like I cheated myself by not learning Chinese. On the other hand, maybe it's best that I don't have to focus so much on the language and can just enjoy the culture. I'm not sure. Maybe even when I thought I was working hard I was really taking the easy way out? Either way, your blog is exceptionally written and I love your insight!

Unknown said...

Kirsten, don't ever sell yourself short on your awesome ability to speak Spanish so well!!! I don't think you took the easy way out at all.

There were so many things in China that I wanted to say or to understand, and so many things that I couldn't pick up on, because of the language.

Thanks for reading :)