28 April 2008

Gifts

I visit an elementary school in Lanzhou once a week so the children can practice their English with me. I enjoy observing the children; they are always so happy and so eager to learn.

They are excited to get to know a foreigner. They ask me questions about myself and about America, and they teach me Chinese words and characters.

Sometimes they try to bring me gifts like their own stuffed animals or candy. I was even brought some live crabs in a jar. I can’t accept anything from them but am always touched by their sweetness.

Last week, though, one girl gave me a small origami box that she had made herself and filled with flower petals. And this week, a different girl gave me a card she had written: “Dear Caiti: I’m Wendy, it’s so good to have you to be my English teacher, you look so lovely and you’re so kind to us, I like English and I like you.”

I’m not one to cry, but if I were, this would be an occasion.

It’s little things like this that make me love living in China.

No comments: