15 April 2008

My Haircut


I got my hair cut in China last weekend. I was attempting to grow my hair out after it had been short for several years. As it had not been cut since December and was almost to my shoulders, I badly needed a trim.

I went with some friends to a hair salon. These friends are nearly fluent in Chinese, so we clearly explained to the young lady who was going to be cutting my hair that I was trying to grow it out and just wanted a trim. She repeated this information back to me and assured me that she would just cut the ends. I elaborated some more, just in case, saying that I did not want bangs or layers.

Although she understood, the hairdresser apparently knew that what I actually wanted, deep down inside, was a messy, short cut. I have had short hair for four years, but my hair has never been this short before. After "trimming" five inches, I also have bangs and layers.

Being the optimist that I am, I like how my new haircut looks on me. The hairdresser cut it very well and it will be easy to take care of and style. I will not complain except to say that I will probably be unable to grow out my hair for a few more years.

Before she started cutting, I knew what I was getting myself into. Most hairdressers in China only know three or four hairstyles. A short walk down the street in China proves this. Some friends and I have given the cuts our own names. "The blender" is the short choppy cut like mine, "the Cyclops" is bangs covering one eye, "the machete" is short hair all one length, and "the poodle" is a perm.

I'm sure you can guess how we came up with the names.

No comments: