15 April 2008

Running


I found a place to run in China!

I was at a loss because it would be simply impossible to run on the streets. The parks here are small, crowded, and have hair-pin turns in the paths. I had given up on finding a place to run in China.

And then I found it, right in front of my face. Next to Zhuan Jia Lou where I live is a stadium. It literally shares a wall with my building. I did not know that it existed, and neither did anyone else in Zhuan Jia Lou. That sounds strange, but it's so crowded in China that the stadium wall was not obvious. Also, there are several abandoned buildings nearby, so it's a little sketchy to go exploring.

Anyway, it's strange to call it a stadium. Sure, it is outside, there are lights, bleachers, etc. But you walk in and it's just a large field of dust. There's not really a track, just a concrete oval as a guide for where to run. Also, few people use the stadium. It's a little creepy to run there, especially in the early mornings. There is some construction on the other side of the stadium, too, so the workers live under the bleachers.

I don't think that many Chinese people run. The ones who do always sprint past me but then walk after half a lap. They repeat this: sprint, walk for a while, sprint, walk, etc. And their "workouts" last only about 10 or 15 minutes. I don't claim to be knowledgeable about health and running, but this doesn't seem to be an effective way to accomplish anything, from speed to endurance or even weight loss. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I always wear a facemask when I run. I could breathe in and swallow a significant amount of dust. With every step, I kick up a large cloud. When I'm finished running, I take off my shoes and socks, and there is a line on my ankle. I wipe my finger across my calf and my finger has a layer of dust on it.

It is a little difficult to breathe with the mask on. But between the higher elevation, the pollution, and the mask, maybe I'll have an awesome cardiovascular system when I get back to the states.

No comments: