04 January 2010

Beijing

My friend Yuan and her parents met me at the Beijing airport on Saturday night, and I stayed with them for two days. The night I got there, my flight was delayed because of snow in Beijing, and all through the night it snowed and snowed and snowed. The next morning, Yuan and I took the subway to Tian'anmen. It was so cold I thought I was going to die. Really, I have never been so miserably cold in my life.

We stopped for coffee to warm ourselves up and then went to Beijing University. We went there because it was pretty in the snow, but mostly because I wanted to see the grave of Edgar Snow (his name was quite fitting). He was a journalist from the U.S. who first introduced the world to Communism in China. I would like to note that I was not permitted to do a Google search of his name... seriously, guys... what's up with that?

On Monday Yuan and I went shopping in the morning, and then I took a bus to the airport for my flight home.

Beijing was really beautiful in the snow. But it was wicked cold, which I did not enjoy. I think two days was plenty of time in the capital considering the weather.

No comments: