07 February 2010

Muskie Internationals

I feel pretty connected to the international students on campus. I feel like I can relate to them well, and that we have a lot to learn from each other.

There are about 15 Chinese students here this semester, and I talk to several on a daily basis.

But also, I'm living in one of the three language houses on campus: the Spanish House. Except for me, everyone in the house is learning Spanish or is an exchange student. I really like the climate and community in the house, and I can brush up on my high-school Spanish at the same time. I'm also learning to dance the merengue and the cuarteto.

I've been impressed with how fast the international students pick up on English swearing and slang. It's kind of surprising. So, I wasn't at all fazed when my Argentine housemate asked, "Caitlin, would you like to go slutting with us?" That would be SLEDDING.

No comments: