17 February 2010

New Year's Resolutions Round 2: Pact with God

I graduated from a Christian high school and had thought that only practicing Catholics gave something up for Lent. But, apparently everyone in southeastern Ohio observes Lent, or at least everyone at Muskingum University does. (And we’re Presbyterian.)

I have nothing against giving up a vice or denying yourself something you enjoy for the purpose of focusing on and becoming closer to God. It’s just that my borderline-atheist friends are giving things up, too. It’s a fad out here, worse than the iPhone and Ugg boots (which I thought would be out of style by the time I got back from China).

The peer pressure is starting to get to me. My problem is that I don’t know how to respond when my friends and classmates ask me what I’m giving up. On one hand, I’m way too proud to admit to classmates and acquaintances that I have a “vice.” This stuff is personal, right? But realistically, my eating habits and free time display nun-like self control. I practically live on salad and green tea (thank you, dining hall food), I don’t watch or even have a television, and my facebook use is so minimal I’m considering deactivating. (I’ve tried thinking outside the box to see what college life is like on the other side, like giving up reading for class, sober weekends, working on seminar, or getting papers done several days in advance…)

And I don't want to make something up just to have an answer. See, whenever the student next to me in class tells me what they’re giving up, I judge them hardcore. You’re not drinking pop anymore? So you’re the reason I see all those 42oz cups in the trash… No dessert? You could stand to lose a few pounds, there… Television? Spending your weekends watching entire seasons on DVD was getting to your social life, yeah?

Oh, that’s it: I should give up my cynicism for Lent.

3 comments:

Christina said...

Caitlin,

Some very interesting observations about Lent. It sounds like your entire campus needs to think harder about what the entire purpose of Lent is -- not another New Year's Resolution or giving up "vices" (which is quite ironic to me, because we should already be striving to be more Christ-like people by erecting the sin from our lives, instead of using Lent as an excuse). Lent is suppose to serve as a reminder of what Christ gave up for us. It is a time of repentance, reflection, and humbleness.

Maybe instead of giving something up you should add something to your life. In addition to giving up something, I am also writing a note every day to the 40 people who have influenced me the most (you will be receiving one of them (: ). How is shedding pounds or cleansing our degestive systems going to bring us closer to God? Doing something instead of not doing something just might fulfill the REAL purpose of Lent better.

:)

Unknown said...

I love the idea of adding something instead of taking something away!

TwiceasReiss said...

Love this =).