07 February 2010

Seminar Overview

I'm only taking four classes this semester, all of which I love. (Even statistics class!) And, I'm not involved in nearly as many campus activities and organizations this semester. I feel like I got everything I wanted to out of my six semesters on campus, and I'd really like to focus.

Focus on what? My seminar.

Seminar is the capstone project that seniors complete in order to graduate. My journalism seminar will consist of a video documentary, a photography project, and a 5,000-word journalistic article. My topic is, broadly, journalism in China.

I conducted my research and interviews last semester in Lanzhou, so now my challenge is to sort through the information and complete the projects.

The focus is going to be on the social and cultural aspects of Lanzhou, China that influence journalism in the region. Chinese journalism looks a lot different from western journalism; that is obvious. But delving into specific reasons why and examining seemingly minor cultural differences should paint a different picture than what we normally see from our American perspective.

I'm going to be presenting the project in April, and anyone is welcome to attend. More details to come.

1 comment:

Christina said...

I would love to come. Details, please. :)