22 May 2015

China Law Classes

The flag pole on Tiananmen Square. I'll be going to a sunrise flag raising in a couple weeks!
I just finished my first week of law classes at Beijing University. I'm with a group of about 25 American law students, most of whom are from Missouri. They have never been to China before, unlike me: this is my fifth time in Beijing, I speak Chinese, and I'm fairly knowledgeable about Chinese history, politics, and law. It's exciting to see my classmates here begin to understand why China is the way it is today from a legal perspective.

We have class for three hours each morning. We focus on one aspect of Chinese law per day, and we have a different professor for each class. The professors are Chinese and teach law at Beijing University. This is the best law school in the country, so the lectures are very good!

The gist of what we're learning in class is that China has a long history and strong legal tradition, but they started over in 1979, borrowing concepts new to them from Western legal systems. The law today is kind of a jumble, and the difference between the written laws and practical application is very great. I spent this past year, however, writing about China's proposed judicial reforms that seek to establish greater judicial independence and form a more cohesive system. The professors have a lot of faith that the legal system will improve, and I believe so, too!

In the afternoons after class, we go on sightseeing trips. So far we have seen the Temple of Heaven, the Summer Palace, Tiananmen Square, and the Great Hall of the People. Next week we will focus our trips more on Chinese law, touring law firms, observing a criminal trial, and visiting the Supreme People's Court.

After three weeks of class and an exam on Chinese law, I will begin a legal position at the Beijing office of a large, American law firm - I'm really fortunate to have been chosen as a summer associate with Sheppard Mullin. This is an amazing opportunity, and I can't wait to begin!
The Summer Palace, built for the Empress Cixi.

No comments: