10 May 2015

Tashkent Food

Who wouldn't?
It's difficult to find traditional Russian food in restaurants in Moscow because when people go out to eat, they want foreign specialties. I ate a Russian meal at a kitschy Soviet-style cafeteria, but most of my other meals were fairly normal.

Near my hostel in Moscow was a trendy food stall area with stands from all over the world. Irish, Italian, Mexican, French, Chinese, and many others were represented. It was classy, and the food quality was great.

I stumbled upon it my first night in Moscow. At the back of the room, I saw a stall called I <3 2009="" actually="" amusing.="" and="" are="" best="" but="" camca="" capital="" central="" china="" cooked="" cooking="" course="" cyrillic="" difficult.="" dumplings.="" excited="" fact="" food="" friends="" friendship="" had="" i="" in="" is="" like="" menu="" moscow="" my="" not="" of="" often="" ordered="" our="" out="" owners="" p="" russian="" samsa="" so="" some="" sounding="" speaking="" tashkent.="" tashkent="" the="" they="" thought="" to="" together.="" trouble="" try="" uzbek="" uzbekistan.="" was="" we="" were="" western="" when="" which="" workers="">

On my last night in Moscow, I was a bit rushed for dinner before I headed to the train station. I went back to the same food stall area, hoping to find a French sandwich to take with me. But the menus were all in Russian, and sounding out the names lead me no where! So back to the Uzbek stall I went for something delicious I know how to say: plov!

The workers were delighted and bemused at my return. I wished I could tell them I just <3 p="" tashkent.="">
Plov in the foreground and samsas in the background. The ceramics are of old Uzbek men having tea!

No comments: