10 May 2015

The Railway out from Moscow

Not bored at all.
I'm on the Trans-Manchurian train from Moscow to Beijing. (It's the same as the famous Trans-Siberian, except it goes into China.) This is the main event I've been looking forward to since I left the states. Since then, I've been running through Europe, and it's nice to finally sit back, relax, and enjoy not having anywhere to be or anything in particular to do.

The train is cozy and warm, and there are plenty of things to do to break up the day. Just standing at the window watching Russia fly by makes the time pass quickly. And then there are breaks for tea, snacks, and meals; reading and writing in my compartment; and scheduled train stops to stretch, buy food, and breathe fresh air all make the day pass quickly.

My compartment-mates will be with me for the first three days. They are a couple from Holland traveling just like I am,  and an older Russian man going to visit family. They are each very nice and friendly, and they make the day enjoyable.
Our first stop! Fifteen minutes of freedom!

1 comment:

Richard B said...

Very nice pictures! Do you use a digital camera or a smart phone to take them?