22 February 2008

Bei's House

I flew from Beijing to the Yulin airport where my friend Bei and her father met me. A friend of theirs with a car drove us three hours to Bei’s home in Fugu.

Fugu is a very small town, but it is still crowded and full of people. Bei lives in a house on a hill. The outside of her home looks old and run-down, but inside it is decorated with large mirrors, murals, Chinese wall hangings, and plenty of furniture.

Bei's home is heated with coal and is rustic as far as the bathroom is concerned, but her family has a television, a computer with an internet connection, a refrigerator, and a kitchen.

Her family has been so wonderful. They want me to feel at home and at the same time experience Chinese life. Bei speaks English very well and her sister Miou has a smaller vocabulary, but none of her other family members speak English at all. It is difficult for me to express to them how grateful I am, but I am learning some Chinese words from Bei so she doesn't have to translate as much.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell Bei hi! OH MY GOSH - Caitlin, you're in China! Do you wake up thinking that every day? I wanted to cry when I read your posts...I want to travel again!

Love you, girl! :)

Jessie said...

Can't wait for more posts. We love you, Caitlin!

Broken Branches said...

crazy stuff chica! this is my blog by the way! can't wait to tune in and read more about your amazing adventures!
cody