26 February 2008

Chinese Food

Some of the food is amazing, and some of the food will take some time to get used to.

In this region they make a special noodle, so it is found at every meal. I could hardly swallow it the first time I tried it. Of course, to be polite, I ate a lot of it. But it is so strange. At first glance, the noodles seem about the consistency of jello, but if you stick a chopstick into one and take it out, you can’t tell where the hole is. It’s just a thick, slimy, chewy consistency. And they’re huge noodles, so they are very hard for me to eat with chopsticks.

I was also served something that apparently does not have an English translation- thank goodness because I think it’s beef fat and bone. It was served with beef slices and had a clear-yellow color. It was kind of like jello, but had chunks of… something related to beef… inside. It tasted like fat. Gross.

On the other hand, I have had many great Chinese dishes. Some are similar to what is served at Chinese restaurants in America, but they taste better of course. There are dumplings, beef, pork, vegetables, peanut dishes, rice, and soy milk. I have also tried many dishes that were new to me but very good. I had pumpkin slices that were only slightly sweet, but good and juicy. I also had fried pumpkin, fried and steamed bread, pickled vegetables and potatoes. And then there are many, many main dishes that I enjoyed but don’t know what exactly was in them.

Is that good or bad?

No comments: