17 February 2008

Who Am I?

I fly to Beijing tomorrow and I still don’t feel anxious.
It’s not real yet.

But I thought I’d write about why I want to study in China for six months. I get that question a lot. I know it’s not going to be fun or easy, but nothing worthwhile is.

I don’t really have an answer to that question. But I’ll try.

First of all, I have wanted to study abroad for a few years now. And more recently, I decided that I wanted an extreme cultural experience. If I’m going to study abroad, I might as well go for it in a country that I know little about and where I don’t speak the language. China definitely falls under those categories for me. More obviously, my school has an exchange program set up with this particular university in China.

In addition to experiencing a different culture, I want to learn about myself. I know I have it easy here in America, and I want to know who I really am.

Like I mentioned before, the title of my blog comes from a song by the band Sherwood. A few of the lines are:

All of the ways that I have tried to understand
Have taken me further from the place that I had planned
And maybe the reason I have strayed so far from home
Is I have insisted upon traveling alone.

For me, this song is about understanding who I am, where I am from, the world around me, and where I fit in. And every time I think I have something all figured out, I don’t. I keep getting further away from what I thought was true. So now, I’m going far away from home for what is hopefully one of the best experiences in my life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so loved & you will be so missed. You have a lot of fans reading your blog - keep us updated!

Anonymous said...

You are so loved & you will be so missed. You have a lot of fans reading your blog - keep us updated!

Anonymous said...

I didn't want to be anonymous! :-)

Anonymous said...

Caitlin...I have been thinking about you a lot. I wish I could have been home to see you and the rest of the gang. We have started to study China in my Multicultural Lit class and it made me think of you. I am praying for you and wishing you the best. God has big plans for you. You are an awesome girl with a big future ahead of you. I know you are trying to figure out who you are, but I want to encourage you not to forget who you were because that's a part of who you are today and who you will become. Oh-and don't forget about me either! :) I love you and can't wait to see what God has in store for you over the next 6 months. Good luck and hang in there! Just want to leave you with this verse: John 16:32-"Yet, I am not alone, for my Father is with me." Jesus said this to his disciples shortly before he was arrested. He knew that he would be alone in the world, but he also knew God would always be by his side. I miss you and love you so much! God bless! :)

Kimberly said...

Hi Cait!
I hope you aren't too homesick! I'm very proud of you for all you've accomplished!
Love ya!
Aunt Kim