26 February 2008

Pollution

The pollution here is awful. Fugu and the surrounding region have many coal mines and plants, so the sky is a weird gray color. Also, the soil is dusty, so after even a short walk outside, my shoes are covered in dirt. And to add to all of this, people throw their trash anywhere and everywhere. The ground it completely littered with everything imaginable.

I have a sore throat and a cough, and sometimes it is hard for me to breathe. A logical guess would be that this is due to the pollution, but I may have caught a cold while traveling.

After my third day here, I am used to the smell of burning coal in kitchens, bathrooms, and restaurants. It’s inescapable.

I do want to say, however, that I don’t hate it here. Sure, it’s dirty, but that doesn’t matter to me. It’s kind of fun to wash my hands and watch the sink turn black. Haha, but really, millions of people live this way. I see how fortunate I am to live in America, and the least I can do is live alongside them with a positive attitude.

No comments: