13 March 2008

Chinese Medicine

Because I became ill from eating raw vegetables, I went to a Chinese hospital. This might be a scary thought for you, as it was for me at first.

What made me the most nervous was the language barrier. A faculty member from the University took me to the hospital, so I tried to describe to her in English what was wrong. She told the doctor in Chinese and tried to translate his questions and instructions for me.

Not much was said to me. After she explained to the doctor what was wrong, I was given medicine- two types of pills, and told how many times per day to take them.

The medicine isn't anything weird. I've been thinking about how scary Chinese medicine seems to foreigners, especially Americans. But really, one quarter of the world's population lives here. They go to these hospitals and take this medicine. Just because China is different doesn’t mean they are wrong. Maybe we have better solutions in America, but the Chinese ones work fine, too.

Oh, and my doctors bills were less than 15 yuan, or $2.10.


P.S.- I'm FINE, don't worry!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Girl, you'd better be fine, because I don't enjoy worrying about my friends. :-p But seriously, take care of yourself. :) I'm enjoying reading all your blog posts!

Amanda

P.S. Did you hear? Mr. McDonald fell through the attic at DCS into the 6th grade classroom! He's in the hospital with some broken ribs and cracked vertebrae but is going to be ok. It'd be a much funnier story if he hadn't gotten seriously hurt! :-p