13 March 2008

Forbidden Fruit

Because fruit and vegetables in China are grown in unsuitable water, westerners are not supposed to eat them raw. Supposedly, my body will get used to it over time and I will be able to eat uncooked produce in the future. I mentioned my friend Tracy in a previous post. She is also from America and has been in China for about seven months, so I asked her if she eats uncooked fruit and vegetables. She does and has had no problems. I decided to take my chances, and I ate a raw tomato with some rice one evening. I should mention that I had had no adverse reactions to any of the food in China until this point. And, all because of a tomato, I was sick for three days. I'm now wondering why I didn't enjoy a banana, apple, pineapple, pear, or other tempting fruit I walk past every day at the local markets. I now know how Adam and Eve felt.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Caiti, Sorry you have been sick! Hope you are feeling better! Love ya! Aunt Kim

Jessica Marshall said...

Friend, I love your blog and hadn't read for a few days -- boy, I missed out on a lot! Love you lots, miss you tons.

Lyn said...

Hi Caiti, I'm reading randomly. Great reading. Sorry to hear you've been sick a bit since you came. I didn't know we shouldn't eat raw food, thought it was just unpeeled stuff...but I'm also into building up immunity...wonder where you're off to next as it sounds like you've been developing quite a bit...maybe it'll be useful. Oh, an extra, water is good boiled 10 minutes if you can do it. Lyn