07 March 2008

Say My Name

All my life I've been called different names. Caitlin, Caiti, Cait. In high school I was Caiti. In college I'm Caitlin. At home I'm any of the three. And two of my good friends consistently call me Caiti-Caiti.

In high school I preferred Caiti but would often say that I liked to be Caitlin every once in a while. I said that it meant a lot to me when someone took the time to say my full name.

At my college, I am only known as Caitlin. It's my real name. It's who I am.

For the Chinese and most foreigners, "Caitlin" is very difficult to pronounce. So, they call me Caiti but spell it the normal way: Katie. During class in China, my name is Kai Di.

The first week of classes, I introduced myself to the only other westerner in my group. I asked Dustin his name and he said, “You're Katie, right?"
I said, "Nope, you can call me Caitlin."
"Alright, Caitlin.”

Being called by my name for the first time in weeks was one of the greatest feelings ever. I never thought it would make a difference as to what I am called. Now that it does, I find it ironic that in China, a person's name is almost sacred to them, but I can't be called by mine.

What does your name mean to you? Have you thought about it what it would be like to not be called by your name?


"It won't be long before you forget my name. Can you tell that I'm losing myself? I think I'm trying too hard to let it show, to let you know. Don't trace your footsteps back to me... Well I thought I would never leave anything behind. I also never thought I'd say... It won't be long before you forget my name." ~New Found Glory, Forget My Name

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Caitlin,

Congrats on making it to China and enduring thus far. I was surprised when I heard you went overseas, and I knew I had to check out this blog. The trip definately sounds like it's one to remember. Kudos to you for sticking it out with all the air pollution. That would drive me absolutely nuts. I especially enjoyed the most recent blog, "Say My Name". I can definately relate to that one. Just recently, when I introduced myself as "Jonathan" to a person in a class, they actually asked me, "Do I have to say the whole thing?". And I didn't even have a language barrier to deal with! I wanted to throw my hands up in the air and yell, "What the heck?...Say the whole thing?...Seriously?...Are you kidding me?...It's my name for Pete's sake!" But I managed to compose myself and reply with, "Yep, all three syllables." Anyways, keep up the good writing and I'll be sure to tune in.