27 March 2008

No Distractions

My life in China is simple. I like it. There is a pattern and pace to each day and each week.

I brought my laptop and I have the option of having the internet in my room. I have decided to do without it. I can get online at an internet café down the street when I want. I enjoy not having the distractions of instant messenger, Facebook, email, and just generally being online.

I do wish that I could be more connected to family and friends back home. But this way, I'm not missing out on anything in China. I spend more time writing about my experiences here and I'm not distracted when I study (or should I say, I actually study!).

I'm even to the point where I dread getting online each week- it's almost like a chore.

I also don't listen to music as often as I did in the states, either. I must admit, I miss working at a radio station and being around friends who are so into music. I have nothing new to listen to (except my roommate's Kazakh hip hop and rap). But as with the internet issue, I'm better off without the distraction.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Caitlin! Nice to hear all the updates! Sounds like you're having fun. Have a happy birthday!