18 March 2008

On the Streets


Walking on the streets of China is dangerous. No, not what you're thinking. While there may be thieves and the like, I have yet to encounter any. What I mean is, walking on the streets is dangerous.

No one looks where they are going. At first, I thought it was inconsiderate to walk straight at someone and then dodge them at the last split second. After constantly zigzagging through crowds, I realized that I was walking about three times are far as the people I was with. Now I just walk straight ahead like everyone else.

I get run into and I run into other people, but it's just the way it is in China. I'm getting used to it.

And if walking on the sidewalk is dangerous, imagine trying to cross the street. I never cross alone, and my friends and I always hold hands or link arms when we cross. I'm serious.

Traffic in China is ridiculous. Even at a cross walk where the pedestrian light is green, there is a constant flow of traffic. Consequently, I'm not sure what the green light indicates. I have been narrowly missed by bicycles, buses, taxis, and cars while attempting to cross the road even in a large crowd. And it's not because I'm not paying attention or because I failed to see the vehicle. They come from nowhere and swerve.

On the subject of transportation, most people walk everywhere. Buses and taxis are used for longer distances instead of cars. In taxis and cars, though, no one wears seatbelts. Several taxi drivers have gotten offended when I put one on. Often, the seatbelts have been removed. Even now that I'm pretty used to it here, I usually reach for a seat belt out of habit. I always wear a seatbelt in America where drivers follow some sort of traffic regulations, but in China where anything goes, I can't wear one because I'll offend the Chinese.

No comments: