24 June 2008

Don't Get Me Wrong

I've been getting a few emails and comments that make me want to clarify some points about my blog.

First of all, I love it here in China. I can understand how my blog could perhaps seem critical of China, but I am simply trying to share with all my readers the major differences and oddities that I've come across in this country. I'm loving every second here and I'm enjoying everything strange that I encounter. I think I've personally done a good job of balancing my feelings- I haven't spent my time and energy missing home because I know I'll be home soon. I've been enjoying China while I'm here, living in the moment and appreciating my semester in Lanzhou. On the other hand, I really, truly miss my family and friends, and I know I'll value American life more than I used to when I return.

The second subject I'd like to clarify is the purpose of my blog. My entries are written in the first person as my own thoughts and feelings and observations about what I am experiencing in China. I believe that because of the nature of this country, no one person can gain an accurate understanding of China as a whole, so I am not attempting to. The people, culture, geography, government, etc. are so unique and various. Once again, I am writing about my own experiences here.

And thirdly, I am not angry or upset as I am writing this particular entry. I just thought it would be a good idea to explain where I'm coming from. So keep the emails and comments coming!

No comments: