18 June 2008

The Zip Line




I got stuck in the middle of a zip line the other day.

Some friends and I climbed a mountain and we decided to take the zip line across to a second mountain. Dustin went first and had no problem. I went second but was too light for my momentum to carry me all the way across.



So I hung about several dozen meters or more above a valley for about ten minutes while the people working the zip line figured out how to get me the rest of the way across. Not to state the obvious, but this is China: Nothing is the same as in the west, such as testing equipment or emergency procedures beforehand. They tried many times using several pieces of equipment to get me the rest of the way across. Magnets, carabineers, yards of rope and wire, and an electric pulley system were all involved. Obviously they succeeded or I wouldn't be writing about this now, but it was quite the ordeal.

I wasn't scared because I knew that there was little danger of the line breaking or me being injured in any way. I was more concerned with how long I'd have to wait before they figured out what to do with me. It was definitely neat to be dangling between two mountains- the view was incredible, but I was also eager to make it to the other side!

After I finally made it across, the other friends I was with came across the zip line without any problems.

Afterward my friend Travis and I discussed fear. Neither of us can imagine living a life constantly afraid of various situations. We decided that although it's good that we don't become easily frightened or worked up, sometimes a little more caution is necessary. We're glad that we can rationalize our fears away, but we know we're not invincible.

No comments: