18 June 2008

Sunshine

The sun in Lanzhou is pretty strong even though the air is polluted. Most of the Chinese girls carry parasols with them at all times because to them, the whiter their skin, the more beautiful they are.

These parasols cause pedestrian traffic jams when coming in and out of buildings, turning corners, and especially at the gates of the university. They're quite a nuisance. I am constantly getting decked in the head with umbrellas. I'm in the process of perfecting the art of ducking and dodging so I don't have to resort to wearing a helmet and goggles.

I created a scene the other day when I decided to study for my exams outside in the park. Most of the university's park is covered in trees, but one small section is a grassy lawn. Ignoring the signs to "keep off the grassland," I spread out a blanket and began to study.

The Chinese students walked by with their parasols, staring at me and exclaiming to their friends. One elderly lady yelled at me to put on a hat.

I can't imagine being worried about the sun in the way that these girls are. I certainly don't want to damage my skin, but to not be able to step outside without a parasol seems ridiculous. Don't they want their Vitamin D?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always wondered why I sometimes see women from the eastern part of the world carrying umbrellas outside, when it's a perfectly beautiful day. It can be sunny and 90 degrees, but there might be a lady with long pants and even sleeves. Occasionally I even see someone wearing a mask. Well, that's one mystery solved. It seems odd to me, but that's only natural since the cultural I grow up in has tanning beds, spray-on-tans, and beaches where people lay in the sun so they can "get their bronze on." As always, it's more than interesting to hear your take on the culture over there. Keep safe.

-Jonathan M.